Monday, May 28, 2007

More Ray Chapman

I was on a plane during the game tonight. I take the fact that they lost as a sign that I can't miss any games. Fortunately, the Tigers lost as well, so that means I'll still be speaking to my friend the Red Sox fan at work tomorrow.

Honestly, though, my dreams of the Indians winning the World Series are going to be challenged by the Red Sox -- that there is a hell of a team.

BUT, never let it be said that I take a vacation from Ray Chapman's Revenge. On the plane ride back to L.A., I finished a fantastic book by Mike Sowell called "The Pitch That Killed," the story of Ray Chapman, Carl Mays, and the 1920 pennant race.

The Cleveland Indians won the World Series in 1920 (after winning a tight penant race against the New York Yankees and the defending world champion Chicago White Sox). But as with any sucess for a Cleveland sports team, it was bittersweet. Why?

Well, there was the shadow of the 1919 Black Sox scandal, which starting come out during the 1920 post-season.

But more importantly, the championship was overshadowed by the death of Ray Chapman, starting short stop for the Cleveland Indians, and the only man to die playing baseball.

Chapman was hit in the head by a pitch from Carl Mays, star pitcher for the New York Yankees. The pitch fractured his skull. He died early the next morning.

Chapman, Mays, and the 1920 Indians are fascinating characters. I can't recommend the book enough, even for those who don't have a blog named after a deceased ball player. It's just really interesting stuff.

More on this another time, I'm sure and at the very least on September 3rd -- Ray Chapman Day in Cleveland.

1 comment:

Mike Huge said...

Readers note: the crew chief last night (who yielded to the first base ump on the disputed Blake call in the ninth) is the same guy who called the home opener one out shy of completion.