Friday, June 1, 2007

Tigers @ Indians, 6/1/07

I don't really blame Tom Mastny for the fact that he's leaving the game with bases loaded, one out, and a new two run deficit. It was clear from after two batters that he didn't have control.

Let me say that again:

It was clear after two batters that he didn't have control.

Which begs the question: why, then, did he stay in?

I mean, he walked a guy who was trying to bunt. The guy wanted to give up an out. After he walks a guy like that, why would anyone think he'd be able to find the zone on someone who's actually up there to hit?

Then again, Fultz just walked in a run. And Detroit just hit a sac for another run.

I could go off on the bullpen, but I'm beginning to wonder if we're just asking too much of Mastny and Fultz. Mastny's pitched 22 innings so far -- that's nearly every other game. And while Fultz has only pitched 14 innings, he's made 25 appearances.

Meh, maybe they just had an off night. I accept that. I still think Mastny should have been pulled after the second batter, though. Tie game, Wedge, let's shorten that rope a little, eh?

1 comment:

Mike Huge said...

Holy friggin Wahoo, what a finish!