Monday, June 18, 2007

Phillies @ Indians, 6/18/07

I don't think I did a blog yesterday. This is what happens when you buy a new flat screen TV: everything else just falls to the wayside.

If you had told me that tonight's match-up of Cliff Lee vs. Cole Hamels would result in a 10-1 score, there's no way I would have picked the Tribe to end up on the good side of that score.

Do we start rejoicing at the return of Cliff Lee? I don't know. I'm still cautious. If he gives us another outing like tonight, I'll be psyched. If he can do the same thing without being up for all but one inning, I'll be on board. Right now, I'm happy for a win I didn't think we'd get and I'm optimistic.

In other news, Jake Westbrook pitched four innings in Buffalo tonight and gave up one earned run on two hits. That's a vast improvement over what he's been doing in his rehab starts. For the sake of argument, let's say he'd give up another run over two more innings, then double that as the difference from AAA to the Majors. That would put him at four runs in six innings of work, which I'll take from Jake when he gets back. I know, that's a horrible excuse for science, but I'm going with it.

In today's chat, someone asked Buster Olney if the Tribe would make a deal. His answer was "bullpen, bullpen, bullpen, bullpen, bullpen."

My view is this: I have faith in most of our guys (Hernandez being my biggest concern)...for one inning. Seriously, if I have to put any of them out there for a single inning only, then I'm fine with that, particularly if they're not inheriting base runners (take note, Wedge -- pull the starters are the end of an inning because our relievers need a fresh plate). But I don't really have faith in ANY of them beyond three outs.

So here's a crazy suggestion, completely dependent upon the events of tomorrow night: Jason Standford to the bullpen.

I think we all know that Stanford was never in our plans for the rotation this season. Everything I've read has said he got the call because not just Adam Miller, but also Brian Slocum was out with an injury. If Adam Miller and Jeremy Sowers are our six and seven starters, Jason Stanford is probably our number nine.

But we have NO ONE for long relief in that bullpen. And when Jake Westbrook comes back next week, Standford will get sent down, regardless of how he's done (particularly if Cliff is really back).

So I say why not?

Perez has been amazing. Betancourt gave up his very first inherited run of the year against the Braves. Fultz and Mastny are both solid when given a new inning. And Borowski has been Wickman-esque. So why not add Stanford to the mix as an inning eater when needed?

That's my suggestion, anyway.

No comments: