Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Cleveland Sports Recap

While you could say the better team won, I think it would be more accurate to say that the less awful team won.

Yes, I'm talking about the Cavs game.

Honestly, there's a small piece of me that's relieved the Cavs won't end the Cleveland championship. Of the three major sports, basketball is the one I care about the least, so I would have felt like a bit of a fake rejoicing a championship in Cleveland when it's a sport I sparingly follow.

Still, if the NBA is like any other business, the extra revenue that Cleveland is making right now will help them get LeBron some help; the man needs to have someone he can pass to who will actually make a shot. Last night was just sad.

I also think it's funny that so many news outlets are caught up in the fact that the numbers for the finals are down. Sure, LeBron is playing, but you know who LeBron appeals to? NBA fans. Ratings don't matter nearly as much as ad revenue and the ad revenue for the NBA finals will never change. Those commercials aren't targeting Joe Average who's watching basketball for maybe the sixth time all year. They're targeting NBA Fan, and NBA Fan is watching. It's the looky-loos who aren't and in terms of ad sales, they don't particularly matter.

Also, Cleveland and San Antonion: not big markets.

And how about that other Cleveland sports team that played last night?

Clearly, the team is in a slump, which is worrying to pretty much everyone because, as much as I will defend Wedge, I don't know that he has it in him to bring them out of it. Honestly, I have faith in Trot Nixon to turn this around, as I think he's added more to the clubhouse than he has to the field.

Let's face facts: we pitch when we don't hit and we hit when we don't pitch. That's not a good mix. And now we turn to Cliff Lee to put the brakes on. This could be the biggest start Cliff has made all year, not just for the team, but for himself.

It appears that Jason Standford is going to get the call for Thursday. I, for one, am excited to see him get a shot. He started the year in Buffalo like freaking gangbusters, but his ERA has climbed over the last month. I think he has a lot of potential and he's had to overcome a lot to get to this point. I hope he does well.

And, hey, if we had to fall into a tie for first, at least it happened because of a no-hitter.

No comments: