Wednesday, July 18, 2007

White Sox @ Indians, 7/18/07

Mark Shapiro isn't stupid.

He was up in the call box at one point during the game today. He was asked about the trade deadline and bullpen help and he basically said -- without actually saying it -- that we have what we have; there's simply nothing out there, and what is out there is too costly.

And then he pointed out what everyone is thinking, yet I don't see a whole lot of people actually saying: our biggest problem is Cliff and Jake.

I know, I know, I sound like a broken record. But we can't count on C.C., Carmona, and Byrd to win every one of their starts.

Buster Olney mentioned in a column the other day that the Tribe had someone at Contreras' last start for the White Sox. But will 5-11 with a 5.32 ERA really help us, even if the White Sox would deal with us? And at what cost? That doesn't seem like a positive move.

It's just insane that we don't really have any options from within right now. I mean, think about it, of our projected starting three of them have, well, bombed pretty badly! It really is a miracle we're anywhere close to in it at this point.

I stand by my suggestion to give Stanford some more time, at least to give us a chance.

So what about our bullpen? Well, even though he gave up a run today, I really like Jensen Lewis. I think he's got potential. I also think he makes a nice addition to Perez, Betancourt, and Borowski.

Mastny is inconsistent and worrying. I think we miss Fultz.

Like I said, I think our bullpen is going to come from within.

I have more faith in that than in the back end of our rotation working itself out.

No comments: