Sunday, July 29, 2007

Weekend Recap

I've given it some thought, and I'm actually going to say that this weekend had more positives than negatives, although that's probably due to the fact that the Tigers are losing to the Angels by a score of 12-1 right now.

Okay, so those two losses were perhaps the worst type of losses we could have had. I have to wonder if Wedge would have pitched someone like Dotel in the 9th on Saturday instead of going with his closer. And, of course, the loss today was really painful, but there will be days like that.

And not to nitpick, but the hit that drove in the Twins' first run? Gutierrez would have made that play. I know that Trot's been hitting well lately, but Gutierrez would have gotten back to that ball in time to catch it. Harsh, but true.

Let's look at the positives. Clearly, this was Westbrook's best outing in a long time. It really looks like a start he can build on. He's got Texas next, so fingers crossed.

Obviously, Kenny Lofton made a considerable impact his first game back. He does give our line-up a nicer look. We're stronger 1-9.

Paul Byrd got another win, which is nice. I'd love to see him get to double digits this week.

And, of course, the Tigers are on the verge of being swept. The saving grace to the fact that the Tribe has been so average since the break is the fact that so have the Tigers. The Yankees worry me, though. It would be just my luck to have a team I hate so completely compete for a wild card spot with the Indians.

Still, we look to end the week a half game back and still in the lead for the wild card. I'll take it, and hope we'll see some improvements after a much needed day off.

No comments: