Friday, July 27, 2007

Putting the Pieces Together

Lots of things going on with the Tribe with lots of different implicatons.

First and foremost, we traded for Kenny Lofton. We gave up Max Ramirez, the Class A catcher we got for Bob Wickman. I'm happy that we didn't give up much (Yamid Haad in Buffalo looks great as a catcher).

Lofton will clearly help on the field, although there's some question as to how he'll be in the clubhouse (anyone who agrees with Gary Sheffield on ANYTHING has to be a few sandwiches short of a picnic). But he'll definitely strengthen the offense. There's even talk of moving him to lead-off to give Grady a shot at taking advantage of his power.

I have to wonder if this deal clears the path for the Dotel deal. I would imagine that to make room for Lofton they'll have move one of the rookie outfielders -- but perhaps they'll move that person to Kansas City and not Buffalo? Honestly, I think Ben Francisco would be a much better trade for the Royals than that AAA short stop from Los Angeles, but I'm clearly biased.

As I pointed out before, Aaron Laffey's schedule was adjusted to match up with Cliff Lee and given last night's performance there can be no doubt that Laffey will get the call. He pitched well yesterday for Buffalo, going six innings and giving up two earned runs -- and that was on short rest.

Aaron Fultz is supposed to start throwing today, with rehab appearances coming as soon as Sunday. It can't come soon enough, really, as my faith in Mastny and even Stanford has begun to waver. I think Fultz's return and Dotel's addition would make a huge difference.

Big changes coming in the next week. I can feel it. And, honestly, if it goes down like it could or should, I think we have a good shot at the post-season and even the division.

No comments: