Monday, April 30, 2007

Wahoo

There's always controversy with the Indians.

I'd bet money that right now in Cleveland there are some people sitting in the bar debating what should be done with Fausto 4.0. And I bet somewhere else there are people debating what should be done with Sin-Shoo Choo. Day in and day out, game or no game, there's controversy surrounding the Indians.

Perhaps the biggest (this side of Belle's bat), is Chief Wahoo.

I have my opinion on the matter, specifically the issue of whether Wahoo is racist or not. I could rattle on about it and offer my counter arguments to those who think differently (and I've heard them more times than I can count). But that's a pretty redundant argument.

And for the sake of this discussion, it's irrelevant.

A few weeks back the Indians were getting a lot of press, between the snow outs and the games in Milwaukee. Every time the Tribe were talked about on ESPN, they would put up Cleveland's logo (side note: Chief Wahoo is a logo, not a mascot -- Slider, the guy in a suit who runs around during games, is a mascot. Wahoo does no such thing), usually next to either the Mariners or the Angels.

It was during one of these stories that I realized something:

Our logo sucks.

Try this: Take away Wahoo's feather and make him white. You know what you get? A giant, goofy, cartoon head. That's our logo.

Check it out (click on the poster to viewer a larger version): http://www.sportsfanfare.com/sf-treposmlblog03.html

Notice anything about all the logos BUT ours? Not a single goofy cartoon head to be found.

We have the four year old's choice of logo.
People wonder why we don't get any respect. I can't imagine this helps. Frankly, it's just embarrassing...

...and that's REGARDLESS of the racism issue!

Look at it this way: Our AAA team has a cartoon buffalo on their logo and it's STILL not as goofy looking as ours.

It's time to earn some respect. A winning team is one step. Not having a joke for a logo is another.

It's time to grow up.

1 comment:

Mike Huge said...

I agree. I think they're working the script "I" in so people aren't totally caught off guard when they drop Cheif Wahoo, long overdue.