Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Dare I Say It? Twin Wins!

Okay, show of hands: who saw that coming? Who honestly believed we'd take both games from the Twins, particularly with one being pitched by Santana?

And how about Fausto Carmona 4.0? Pretty impressive (bonus points for those who can correctly name the other versions of Carmona I'm thinking of).

This was a great series for us. We had one error, which just happened to be a bobble by Grady aka not an infield error. Our bullpen was better than the Twins' bullpen. And the future of our rotation stepped up.

And hello first place, nice to be here!

Congrats to Mike Rouse, who not only got his first hit of the year, but an RBI.

And Casey Blake had an RBI! Yet, ironically enough, it will not improve his Runners In Scoring Position AVG, as Grady was actually on first.

Speaking of Casey, I'm beginning to think that, aside from Fausto Carmona, he's been the player most abused by the Tribe management team.

Casey's gotten a lot of grief in his time with the Tribe, a lot of it deserved. I realized tonight that a big part of that grief this season has been the simple fact that he's been taking time away from Garko at first. I think pretty much everyone knows that he's the future at first and Casey, as always, is just a placeholder.

But since Marte got hurt, I can't help but wonder if the ball was dropped with Casey. What did we gain by having Boone at third of Casey Blake? For that matter, what are we gaining now by having Marte there? Casey did a pretty impressive job tonight.

Casey really can't win. In the end, though, I'd feel worse for him if he didn't leave so many runners on base.

Sidenote: It's already common knowledge that baseball includes the largest collection of men who honestly believe the goatee to be a good idea. Please, Pronk, don't add your name to that list!

2 comments:

Mike Huge said...

Defense looked great last night, as did the Fausto!

Unknown said...

Looking at the pitching matchups, I was just hoping the Indians could get one of two. It did occur to me that it would be just like the Indians - to completely flop against Triple-A Yankee pitchers, and then beat Johan Santana. But I didn't think it would actually HAPPEN. So, no, I won't be raising my hand on that question.

A female's opinion on Pronk's facial hair: If Pronk wants to grow a 'stache, that's one thing, but I'm not in favor of the scruffy chin thing he's been sporting lately. Actually, I'm really not in favor of scruffiness at all.