Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Westbrook and Managers

RCR EXTRA (aka, a non-game entry)!

So long time RCR reader Mike (he's been on board from the start) asked me about Jake Westbrook. I can't imagine I was alone in saying, after Westbrook's start against that Yankees, that this is what happens when you guarantee a guy $33 million.

While Jake is winless so far this season, he's 50/50 on quality starts, and we still got the win after one of those bad starts (against the White Sox). But what about the bad start we lost? What about the defiling the Yankees gave him?

Well, I chalk that up to a bad night against a good team. Sure, the Red Sox just swept the Yankees, but their much vaunted starting rotation (they had their 1-3 guys going) gave up 5, 4, and 6 runs a piece. The Red Sox paid $51 million just to talk to Dice-K, and he gave up six runs; I'd be surprised if the Tribe paid for more than dinner to talk to Westbrook.

I'll say this much, though: I'd prefer it if Westbrook was at the back end of our rotation. I'd love it if the Tribe had a 1-3 who were more intimidating. A groundball pitcher with one of the worst defences in baseball behind him is not scary. But with Sowers, Miller, and possibly Carmona (if he can pitches like he did against the Yankees on a regular basis), I think that will take care of itself.

RCR EXTRA EXTRA

Living with someone who knows absolutely nothing about baseball (aside from the fact that I'm always watching it) is extremely enlightening.

Case in point: why DO managers wear uniforms?

This is a singular experience in all of sports. Basketball coaches don't wear jerseys. Hockey coaches wear ties, for god's sake! So why does the entire coaching staff of a baseball team were uniforms?

The obvious answer is that it's a hold out from the days of player-managers. But it's been a while since we've seen such a creature. It was also suggested to me that maybe they wear the uniforms because they have to go out on the field, so they'd need to wear the shoes...except for the fact that (aside from Jim Leyland), the shoes are the one part of the uniform the don't wear.

So why do managers still wear uniforms? Because let's face facts, it's not like Lou Pinella, Joe Torre, Jim Leyland, or even Eric Wedge are exactly blending in on that bench.

My theory: unlike other sports, baseball's "sideline" is actually a shared living space. The dugout is home for these guys for three plus hours. It's not exactly the place for a suit and tie.

And perhaps there's a certain amount of psychology at play. Perhaps the manager is saying "hey, I might be out of shape and overweight, but I'm still one of you guys and I know what it's like to be where you are."

Then again, there are times when you see a manager walking out to the mound when you wish they'd really just say that and spare us the embarrassment.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think that having the manager wear a uniform gives the players extra confidence. In most cases, they can be confident that they look better in it than their manager. :)

Kyle Garret said...

Laura - HA! Good point.