Thursday, April 3, 2008

White Sox @ Indians, 4/2/08 (with a little 4/3/08)

One of my favorite things about living on the West coast (aside from the weather) is the time difference. And there's no better example of how great that is than a noon East coast start time for the Tribe, which means I get to roll out of bed and start watching baseball (okay, roll out of bed, get ready for work, drive to work, and then watch baseball while working).

What it also means, however, is that I don't have a lot of time between a night game and a day game to write about said night game. So here I am, writing about last night's win while watching today's pitchers' duel between Jake Westbrook and John Danks.

Last night's game was a great example of how Carmona has matured as a pitcher. Sure, he was fairly dominant, but it was clear that he had to fight to make his pitches. I'm sure the cold weather had a lot to do with that. And even giving up four walks, he was able to shut down the White Sox.

And while it might still be early yet, I think Asdrubal Cabrera is making a strong case to stay in that #2 spot regardless of whether the opposing starter is a lefty or a righty. He just seems more comfortable there than in the 7 spot.

How great is Kelly Shoppach? What other team could lose a guy like Martinez (even for just a few days) and not see a huge drop off? It really makes you appreciate the fact that Shapiro was so determined not to trade Shoppach.

One thing I've noticed both last night with Carmona on the mound and now today with Westbrook on the mound (and I hope I'm not jinxing him by pointing this out): Jhonny Peralta seems to have more range this year. I know that every year we hear that he's been working on his range, but he's made a few plays just this afternoon that covered a great deal of ground.

Okay, back to the game. We need some offense!

No comments: