Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Tigers @ Indians, 4/16/08

So...

What now?

My girlfriend, who knows a decent amount about the Tribe because of me, suggested to me that C.C. is trying too hard, much, she pointed out, like he did in the post-season last year. And I'm more than willing to accept that. I'm more than willing to believe that Sabathia is putting the weight of the world on his shoulders, determined to live up to the Cy Young award, the All-Star of the team, the big pay day he's due at the end of the year. I completely believe that this weight is what's causing him to pitch so badly.

And I don't really care.

Because knowing why he's pitching like garbage doesn't change the fact that he's pitching like garbage.

So what do we do now?

We hope that whatever advice that Carl Willis gave to Paul Byrd that got him to throw strikes was also passed on to Fausto Carmona. And then we make C.C. a new contract offer in hopes that he'll take it and move on. Because at the rate he's going now, I don't know how big that pay day at the end of the year is going to be.

He's only thrown four innings so far, but it's probably time to start giving Craig Breslow more work. His walk to strikeout ratio isn't the best, but he hasn't allowed a run yet, and four innings without giving up a run is a big deal in our bullpen these days. For that matter, he needs to start getting into games in middle relief situations instead of Rafael Perez, who we need later in the game.

Again, David Dellucci proved that he should be in the line-up every day. I was more than willing to let him go earlier in the season, but after going 0 for 9 at the start of the season, he's gone 8 for 22, or .363 since then. He's also drawn six walks in 29 at bats, which would nearly put him on base every game he plays. That sounds like a #2 guy to me (and this is coming from a guy who has been preaching for Cabrera in that spot) It would be mind boggling to me to see Dellucci sit on the bench with how hot he's been, regardless of who we're facing.

We were 3 hit by some guy I've never heard of. And tomorrow we get Justin Verlander.

Good times.

No comments: