Monday, April 14, 2008

Red Sox @ Indians, 4/14/08

This afternoon I was complaining about the bottom of our batting order. I was complaining to a guy who is a Red Sox fan.He mentioned that it's early in the season and that the batting average after 12 games doesn't mean much down the line. And he's right.

Which made me realize something about my friend, the Red Sox fan: He no longer understands.

I turned on the game late today because it was a 4:00 start and I have a day job. And I was fully prepared, as my TV flickered to light, to see the Tribe losing by a substantial number.

Not because they were playing the Red Sox.

But because they're the Indians.

And that's what we expect.

Four years is a long time, and while my friend can certainly sympathize with my plight as a Tribe fan, he can no longer empathize. He has complete confidence in his team, while my confidence level changes from day to day. Even at my most confident, there's still a part of me that doesn't think the Tribe belongs in the same sentence as teams like the Red Sox, Yankees, etc.

He no longer remembers what it's like to feel like your team is walking a tight rope, that at any given minute the entire house of cards will come crashing down. He no longer remembers what it's like feel like the entire season can depend upon a single game, a single inning, or single out.

Because it's been four years since he's been anywhere near that feeling.I don't know that he'd ever admit to any of that, but he's on the other side; he doesn't even realize it.

Me? I'll just sit on my side with the rest of the Tribe fans, anxious over every pitch, popping more antacids, and pouring myself another drink.

No comments: