Sunday, September 30, 2007

Indians @ Royals, 9/29/07

I hate the Red Sox.

I think I've just been waiting for something to send me over the edge. Let's face facts, it's an organization that likes to pretend they're the underdog, that they're the polar opposite of the "evil empire," yet they've basically become Evil Empire, Jr. And Red Sox Nation is even worse. "Oh, we're so tortured" and yet they're really not. They buy what they need when they need it. Try being the Indians, jackasses.

But I've held my bile in check. Part of that is the fact that I actually hate the Yankees more, so the enemy of my enemy is my friend. Part of it is my friend Matt, who was born a Red Sox fan (and who freely admits that he'd prefer to support a different team, but you don't get to choose these things, as Indians fans know only too well). And sure, I probably fell for their charm in 2004.

No longer.

Minutes after the Indians managed to lose to the Royals, the Red Sox made their decision as to which ALDS they would be playing in.

Now, every Red Sox fan I've talked to has said the same thing. Every sports analyst online and on TV has said the same thing. Basically, the Red Sox would benefit the most from the short series, because their opponents, be they the Angels or the Indians, have a pair of aces and the last thing the Red Sox would want to do is allow the other team to pitch both of their aces twice in a single series. On top of that, the Red Sox basically have an ace (Beckett) and some other guys who are sometimes great and sometimes awful.

Like I said, it seemed that everyone who was anyone piece together that the Red Sox would benefit most from the shorter series.

Clearly, none of those people actually WORK for the Red Sox. Because they picked the long series.

I have underestimated the appeal of facing Lackey and Escoabar twice each in a five game series. I have underestimated the cloning abilities of the Boston Red Sox, as they have obviously created a second Josh Beckett.

I would like to hit someone now.

No comments: